There is no doubt that pull ups and chin ups are among the most effective ways of getting stronger and fitter. You can do them anywhere, you don’t need any equipment other than a pull up bar and, best of all, they really work.
If you struggle to find the time or the inspiration to work out regularly then you might be intimidated by the thought of going to the gym and doing pull ups beside people who are stronger than you. Yet, how can you build up your crucial upper body strength without working out?
The truth is that by choosing to use a pull up bar at home you can work out in peace and comfort. You will feel fantastic once you start doing this, while the positive effects on your body will soon be clear.
Reviews of the Top 10 Pull Up Bars
This sturdy, wall-mounted pull up bar can handle users weighing up to 150kg. It looks great and it is cleverly designed so that you can grip it easily and comfortably while working out. The smart, modern design means that it should fit in easily enough to any home and look fine.
The fact that the Authentic RDX Chin Pull Up Bar is solidly built and has an anti-corrosive treatment means that it can be used indoors or outdoors as you prefer. This is a tough and long-lasting option that comes with a 3.175cm bar diameter to suit everyone.
This is a heavy duty, wall-mounted bar that is branded as being commercial gym quality. The welded and braced steel wall brackets and locking bolts certainly give it a robust and durable feel that will give you a great feeling of confidence when you start to work out.
The bar runs to 1.2 metres in length and has a 34mm diameter. It is sturdier than many cheaper models, as it doesn’t rely on a single bolt or have any weak points that could let you down over time. It isn’t the cheapest pull up bar around but it does offer quality at a very reasonable price.
3. DX Heavy Gym Iron Chin Pull Up Bar
This DX pull out bar is an interesting option, as it is designed for outdoor use and also has space for you to fit a punching bag onto it. The heavy duty construction and strong wall brackets mean that it can handle a maximum weight of 130kg without any problems.
As it has been created with outdoor use in mind, it is reassuring to see that it has been coated to prevent rusting. As with all of the best pull up bars, you get everything included that you need to fit it professionally and safely to the wall.
An excellent value option, the Klarfit KS1W Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar is sturdy and has the kind of non-slip grip that you can rely on every time. It is advertised as handling a maximum weight capacity of up to 350kg.
The two different types of handle on it give you a couple of ways of working out, which is great news for those of us who like a lot of variety as well as the chance to work out different muscles. You get all of the accessories needed to mount it to a wall. It is worth noting that the bar is 101cm long and has a diameter of 2.5cm.
With a 5 year guarantee and a fully welded construction, this is the kind of bar that inspires confidence in it right away. It is also ready to use right away as soon as you open the box, with no assembly or fitting required at all.
This pull up bar from Innovation Fitness holds up to 24 stone (152kg) and has a solid, no frills type of appearance that many people love. You just need to wedge it firmly into a standard door frame and you are ready to go. Once you are finished working it can be folded down to 35mm flat in just a few seconds without any fuss.
This Powerbar pull up bar has been improved recently, with better wall fixings for an even more solid fitting. The triangular design ensures that it can take care of loads of up to 200kg, while it can be used just as easily inside or outdoors in your home.
The bar itself measures up at 91cm, with 59cm in the straight middle section and the rest outside the bracket in a curved section. This allows for a wide grip to be adopted when required. Overall, it is a solid and simple affair that is ideal for working out at home.
This cleverly put together bar has a number of interesting features that make it well worth taking a look at. For a start, a bottom slot hole can be used to hang any sort of suspension training kit off it. This could come in very useful when you want some added variety after a while.
The front bars are angled at 5° to give the user the perfect body position when using this equipment. Perhaps the most interesting fact is that it comes with lifetime warranty, which will definitely put your mind at ease. This pull up bar by Fit-Equip isn’t the cheapest on the market but it does look good as well as carrying out a fantastic job.
The ease of installation and use makes this a sound choice for anyone who just wants to get started on working out right away. The We R Sports Extreme Door set-up simply involves wedging it in a door frame, with no need to drill, fit screws or anything else.
It is a very lightweight and portable model that also has the benefit of a 1 year warranty. It is one of the lowest priced pull up bars around but also has a durable and robust feel to it. It can handle up to 300 pounds (136 kilos) and can be used on any standard sized door. It is important that you get it perfectly aligned and once this is done it is solid and won’t let you down.
If you want a comprehensive home workout but don’t want to pay over the odds for it then this is certainly a choice to bear in mind. You can carry out pull up, chin ups, dip, knee raises and sit ups on this versatile piece of home gym equipment.
The Homcom Unisex Power Tower is made of heavy duty steel and has upholstered sections for added comfort. It has been put together with a strong frame that can handle a maximum weight of 120kg. If you have the room to fit in this tower then it is an interesting option at a very decent price.
What to Look For
Of course, there are some factors to take into account when you want to buy a pull up bar. The following are a few of the key points that you will want to investigate in order to make a smart choice that gives your years of use.
- How Big Is It? For most of us, the idea of having a fully equipped home gym is just a distant dream. Therefore, it makes sense to look for a compact pull up bar that can be used easily even when space is at a premium.
- How Easy Is It to Assemble? The convenience aspect is one of the big factors to consider when looking for a bar that lets you perform powerful pull up exercises at home. The easier it is to put together the quicker you will start to get the benefits you crave.
- How Tough Is it? You will want to choose a durable pull up bar that stands the test of time. This is an especially important issue if you plan to take it down and movie to elsewhere to occasionally to work out in different places.
- The Weight It Can Support. Not all pull up bars are the same in terms of the maximum weight they can support. The last thing that you want is for the bar to give way because you are heavier than the maximum suggested weight.
- The Way It Gets Used. There are different types of bar than can be used in different ways. Will you choose one that slips over the top of a door or one that gets fixed to the wall? Some also give you accessories and variable grips to add variety to your exercises.
- Where You Will Put It? Finally, once you have looked at the previous points then you should have a much clearer idea of where you will put your pull up bar to use it effectively.
Types of Pull Up Bar
You may be surprised at first when you discover that there are some different types of pull up bar you can choose from. Finding the right one for your needs is the ideal way of getting started on making a good purchase.
So, which type is right for your home gym?
- The Telescopic or Doorway Bar. You may see either of these names used. The truth is that these names refer to the same type of equipment. It is a telescopic bar than can be extended and wedged it a door frame. The big advantage in this case is that there is no assembly work needed.
- Portable Pull Up Bars. These are highly portable bars that can be easily taken apart and taken to different places so that you can work out wherever suits you. A great option for people who travel a lot and want to stay fit.
- Free Standing Equipment. With a tower style of gym equipment you get a high level of stability. Of course, not everyone has the space for this type of equipment at home.
- Wall or Ceiling Bars. These bars need to be fixed to the wall or ceiling. They need to be firmly securely and parallel to the ground to be safe to use.